Thursday, December 9, 2010

Christmas Legacy

Candle light at home, a Christmas wreath, a Christmas tree with clear light bulbs, family and friends, laughter as gifts are exchanged (in an orderly fashion), Christmas Eve church service, snow, Christmas day dinner, reading the Christmas story - these are some of the things that mean Christmas to me.

The older I get however, the more Christmas seems to demand change. Some of the things that once meant Christmas to me I need to let go of. Spending time together as a family will not happen, this year. My daughter is married and they have two kids of their own. My son is married and they live four hours away. My youngest son is engaged and has also moved away. Christmas will be scattered; not once this year will we be altogether as a family.

My kids are developing Christmas traditions of their own, and heading over to "Opa and Omi's" house, or having "Opa and Omi" come over for a Christmas visit seems to be part of the tradition they are developing. Don't get me wrong, I love being a grandparent and being able to play the grandfather role is exciting to me, but I still miss the "altogether" Christmas. I will always miss being the father of young kids, having the kids wake us up Christmas day with the banging of pots.

But as I sit here and long for those good old days I am equally excited looking forward with anticipation of the good new days that are just around the corner. I have the privilege of being a grandparent, I have the privilege of knowing that my kids love having us over, (I think they do). I have the privilege of knowing that my grand kids get excited to see us. More than that though, we have the privilege of leaving a legacy to our kids and grand kids. It may not necessarily be a legacy of wealth, it will however, to the best of my ability, be a legacy of love, caring and of serving.

Merry Christmas and God's blessings for the New Year.

3 comments:

Teresa Klassen said...

OK. Now I am depressed (just kidding). I am trying to get my head around this reality now...but unless I am on a beach somewhere, I am not sure how I will get used to the idea.

Teresa K

mamak said...

beautifully put dad. (and yes, we love having you over!!!) <3

Bryan Miles said...

(i may not be a legacy of wealth) I am seeing more and more each day that money cannot buy what you have shared in this blog, the love of being a father and having family close at hand, which you have been so blessed with have to me been one of the most profound things the lord has shown me since i have come to him. Harold you are a man who has a heart for people, which in my mind is the greatest asset one could ever attain. I only pray the lord would take me to the capacity that you have in your life you are truly blessed my friend. Thank you for all you have been and will continue to be in my life.I look forward to watching the lord bring rest into both of our lives so we may have greater revelation of what true intimacy with another really means.

Bryan Miles